Sunday 17 June 2012

Flux of Pink Indians Interview 6/9/07


FLUX OF PINK INDIANS 6/9/07
Flux of pink Indians... 

NEEDING NO INTRODUCTION.....FLUX OF PINK INDIANS.
1: So why reform? is it just for this 1 gig or what? why reform to play a support slot? you could easily pack out your own gig? were you involved in the conception of this gig or just asked to play? were you suprised to see the venue, ticket price and tickmaster involvement? this gig is getting a lot of criticism as a ripp off/sell out, mainly directed at Steve Ignorant, have you had any grief for doing it?

1/ We decided to reform for a one off gig after being asked to be part of steve's feeding of the 5000 event in November. I don't really see it as a support slot, more a part of the whole weekend. I liked the idea of playing our early stuff written when politics hadn't totally taken over the 'music' and punk still felt very much alive. Of course the venue and ticket price is a bit shit but the music business is shit, I hate it, but I love being involved with bands and want to go on stage and make a racket so I'm stuck in the middle on this one. If the gig could have been arranged somewhere less commercial then that would have been better but we said yes so we're doing it. I've seen some of the criticism directed at the gig on various forums and they're valid points but there have been just as many people who aren't taking it quite so seriously and are looking forward to it.


2: Steve Ignorant is planning on doing the Feeding of the 5000 12" in its entirety, i hope your not planning to do likewise with your Fucking Cunts lp??!! seriously though, what can we expect from you? any new stuff or is it all Strive era? do you think the Strive era stuff is still relevant or is it just a nostalgia thing? i mean, does punk still belong to the punks not the businessmen when your playing the Empire for £17.50 a go?

2/ Yeah, it'll be 'strive' and 'neu smell' and the line up is mainly from 'strive'. I'm not sure if anyone is ready for 'the fucking cunts' yet in its entirety, it used to cause a riot when we played it back then. Sadly most of 'strive' is still relevant today, the things we sang about are still with us, we didn't end up changing the world like we thought we could. After living your life for all those years thinking everything is crap, the world's gonna end any minute and we're right and everyone else is wrong it kinda takes it out of you. In the end you change to survive, I still agree with all our songs but I don't wanna ram it down anyone's throat anymore. And from the contact we've had from people since agreeing to this gig I would say punk still belongs to the punks but the empire @ 17.50 is a big compromise.


3: Reading the Day The Country Died book i was suprised to read how much disharmony there was in flux?, was there a lot of pressure to act in a particular way due to being at the forefront of the anarcho punk scene? was the anarcho punk scene really as devoid of humour and free thinking as it appears sometimes? apart from ex member Derek, who else from back in the day was a stuck up wanker?? go on, you can tell us, they're probably bank managers by now and will never read this!!

3/ The interviews with me and kev give that impression which is a shame as I don't think it's actually true. The day the country died was our first chance in years to get a few things off our chest. There are things I said about Derek which surprised me when I read the book, I can only think that it was said in the heat of the moment. I'd known Derek since school and we were in bands together for nearly ten years so when I finally left flux to start another band Derek never spoke to me again, I don't know why, but because of that I called him a wanker in Ian's book which I shouldn't of cos he was actually a great bloke.



Thanks to Ian Glasper for sorting this interview out and thanks to Colin Latter for taking the time to reply, i dont have a contact for Colin Latter, but if you really feel the need to get in touch with him, try going through Ian Glasper,
(his url is under his interview on here somewhere)

No comments:

Post a Comment